Friday, September 13, 2019

Secondary Application Essays for Medical School Essay

Secondary Application Essays for Medical School - Essay Example There are also those who volunteer because they have felt the cruel sting that life had afflicted them with. A few also volunteer as a result of the instilled set of values that compel them to act on deeply held beliefs about the importance of helping others. However, I volunteer to serve my community; address some of the most pressing issues facing people of my community. My volunteerism spirit was inspired by the deep understanding of the problems faced by the people of my background - the Mexican American community. My travel to South East Asia provided me further zeal to pursue volunteerism and serve people in need of help. The trip exposed me, for the first time in my life, to poverty and poor health of immense magnitude. I realized that poverty and inadequate healthcare could lead to grim societal conditions. The trip also made me aware of the realities of the disparities in the global economy. All these time, it made me appreciate volunteerism and the mandates of volunteers even more. As a result of these experiences and owing to my inclination towards a medical career, I volunteered for the American Red Cross in San Francisco in 1992. My work was to instruct blood donors about the forms and procedure. I could make some contribution in this area owing to my ability to speak Spanish, my strong interpersonal skills and my ability to effectively use my ethnic identity. Meanwhile, I received an enhanced understanding of communal diversity and also sharpened my soft skills. When I earned a summer internship at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco in 2003, I realized that my most cherished goal to explore the fascinating world of medicine had finally materialized. Shadowing doctors from different departments of the Medical Center, I quickly learned the essence of healthcare. In other words, I realized that medicine provided the most appropriate career for a person with an aptitude to volunteer and be of service to

No comments:

Post a Comment